If you want a fun outdoor game to play with your children this summer, here’s a beach scavenger hunt for kids, complete with a free list of things to find.
This would also work well if you’re planning on taking a youth group to the beach for an outing or as part of a youth retreat.
Here’s how to plan it:
- Scavenger hunt list (see below)
While at the beach, give your kids a copy of the list and a pen. Their challenge is to see if they can find all of the different activities going on before you leave the beach.
This is primarily a human scavenger hunt, as most of the items listed involve finding people doing various activities, but there are also a couple of others that involve a dog and a bird.
If you have 2+ kids, this game can be played by either having them work together, or by introducing a competitive element.
If playing it competitively, one option is to have your kids race to see who can find the most activities from the list.
Alternatively, make a note of which child finds each activity first – the kid who’s found the most by the end of the day is the winner.
We wanted to make this game easy for you to organize, so here are 20 different activities you can use for this beach scavenger hunt for kids.
Beneath this is a link to a free printable copy of the list for you to download.
- People playing Frisbee
- Someone building a sandcastle
- A dog swimming in the ocean
- Someone flying a kite
- Family having a picnic
- Someone with sunburn
- People playing beach volleyball
- Someone buried in the sand
- A bird running on the sand
- Someone on a jetski
- People sitting under a beach umbrella
- Someone eating an ice cream
- Someone surfing or bodyboarding
- People splashing each other
- Someone putting on sunscreen
- Someone writing something in the sand
- Someone parasailing
- People cycling
- Someone with a metal detector
- People playing beach soccer
If you want to offer a prize to the winner of the game, let them get a souvenir from a beach shop or have them choose where you go for dinner that evening.
If you want some more fun activities to do with your children, check out all of our other ideas for scavenger hunts for kids.